Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The contents of my 2nd harddrive are there, but aren't showing up in Windows Explorer. How can

Just happened today out of the blue. I haven't made any changes to anything (except install Limewire but then deleted it without dl'ing anything). In My Computer it shows that it has the correct amount of drive space left... 12 gb out of 111 gb. But when I click on it to open it, it hourglasses for 2 seconds then opens (unlike the other drives which open instantly). Then only 1 file (one of my files that has been there forever) shows up. There's supposed to be 6 other files plus about 15 folders. On the left it still indicates that there are only 12 gb left. I rarely use this drive as it's for storage. Have had Avast Anti-virus running for at least a month. When I open Command Prompt, type in the drive and ''dir'' it says ''Volume in drive D has no label'', it gives the volume serial number, then lists that one file that shows up and under it says ''File Not Found.'' No foul programs/processes in the Task Manager. Never had this issue before. Any ideas on what this could be?



The contents of my 2nd harddrive are there, but aren't showing up in Windows Explorer. How can I fix this?malware



1. do a search for the file or folder name making sure to search subfolders and hidden and system files.



start - search



if they dont turn up:



2. right click the drive-%26gt; properties-%26gt; tools-%26gt; error checking -%26gt; fix -%26gt; [reboot]



This will fix any errors on the drive.



3. If they are still not showing up, check to make sure the attributes havent been changed to 'hidden':



my computer-tools-folder options-view-show hidden files



4. if this still doesnt fix the problem then try http://www.recuva.com to see if you can salvage the lost files.

No comments:

Post a Comment