Friday, August 20, 2010

Vaio PCG-F190 Very slow!!!?

Hi, I have managed to get hold of an old laptop from work to mess about with. I have just installed Windows XP SP2 on it. The spec is as follows:



Intel Pentium 2 Mobile (366MHz)



64MB RAM



6GB Hard Disk



14.1'' TFT XGA Screen



Floppy Disk



CD/DVD ROM



So as you can imagine it isn't very quick really. However, I have just installed Avast 4 antivirus, and got BT Total Broadband 8MB on it. It has started to run very slowly recently and I don't know why. It has started to come up with ''low on virtual memory, windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory'' or words to that effect. I have installed the firewall and antivirus programs that came with the BT Broadband package.



Also, when I run 'task manager' it opens up 20-30 of them which slows my PC down even more. I have run a virus scan with nothing found. I can't upgrade the RAM as it is non-removable.



Anyone got any suggestions as to what could be causing the problems and a possible solution?



Thank you very much.



Gareth.



Vaio PCG-F190 Very slow!!!?computers



I suspect that RAM is way too low for XP. You need to install more - 256 minimum. Also W XP SP2 runs some functions looking for updates in back ground that slow it down for a few mins on start up. I have new laptop and it slows even this down. I suspect you are pressing Ctl-Alt-Del many times which is causing Task Mgr to start many copies. From experience with old slow computers you need to be patient and wait for things to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment